Subject: Shift Rod Rattle Models: 911 Carrera 1987-1988
Bulletin Number: 88 – 02
To further reduce shift rod rattle on 1987 and 88 models, an additional rubber ring may be installed on the shift rod.
First check, and if applicable, repair vehicle according to Bullet Group 3, Number 870 dated July 31, 1987.
If a shift rod rattle is still noticeable proceed as follows:
- Remove shift rod coupling access plate.
- With shift lever in neutral, disconnect frost shift rod from coupling.
- Move shift lever in 3rd gear position and slide rubber ring over front shift rod. Rubber ring Part Number 999.701.969.40
- Reconnect shift coupling.
- With shift lever in neutral, slightly tension the rubber ring with a tie down strap attached to the left side hand brake cable guide tube. The distance from the shift rod flange to the rubber ring should be approx. 100mm (see picture).
- Reinstall the access plate. Roadtest car. If rattle is still audible increase tension on rubber ring slightly.
Conversion time: 30 TU
Important Notice: Technical Bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a “Do-it-yourselfer.” They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Special tools may be required to perform certain operations identified in these bulletins. Use of tools and procedures other than those recommended in these bulletins may be detrimental to the safe operation of your vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your Porsche Dealer for information whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. Part numbers listed in these bulletins are for reference only. Always check with your authorized Porsche dealer to verify correct part numbers.
home page: klassikats.com