Subject: Removing and installing windscreen without frame Models: 911 Speedster ALL
Bulletin Number: 64 – 13
Removing the windscreen
Danger of cut injuries when removing and installing car windows!
- Cutting out glued car windows may lead to cut injuries to the skin and the eyes due to flying glass splinters and may cause cut injuries due to the knife of the cutter
- Always wear protective gloves when working on car windows.
- Wear protective goggles when cutting out car windows.
- Only replace the cutting knife with the power supply disconnected, in order to avoid the cutter being switched on accidently.
The windscreen can be removed without removing its window frame.
1 – Remove rubber covering
Pull rubber covering out of the surrounding section of the windscreen all the way round.
2 – Remove Covers
Unscrew and remove fastening screw of the cover on the dashboard.
3 – Disconnect the electrical plug connection
- Disconnect the electrical plug connection of the windscreen and fasten the windscreen lead with adhesive tape.
4 – Remove defroster covers
- Unscrew and remove fastening covers from the defroster cover.
5 – Separate windscreen
- Fit a cutting knife -D1 to the cutter -C-.
Observe the prescribed cutting direction!
- Insert cutting knife -D1- into the rubber seal, and set the frequency controller to level 6. Cut through the bond between the windscreen and the window frame upwards from below in both -directions of the arrows-.
Preparing the window section for installation
- Remove adhesive from the window frame.
- When removing remaining adhesive -1- with the cutting tool -C- and the flashing knife -D- on the window frame, ensure that a surface coating of adhesive remains -2-.
The surface coating of adhesive remaining helps new adhesive to stick. Keep cut surfaces clean and free of grease and do not clean with cleaning solution.
- – Clean and prime paint damage or newly built-up paint areas in the window aperture of the window frame.
- Clean new paint aread or damage to the top coat paint in the non-visable area of the window aperture in the window frame with cleaning solution -H1- and patch with primer -H2-.
A ventilation period of at least 10 minutes must be observed between the cleaning of the glass section and the application of the primer! No cleaning solution residues may remain on the window frame or the body.
Preparing the windscreen for installation
- – Remove adhesive from the windscreen
Only if the windsreen is re-installed
- Fit cutting device -B- with the flasing knife -D- and remove the remaining adhesive from the windscreen ensuring that a surface coating of adhesive remains.
The remaining adhesive helps new adhesive to stick. Keep cut surfaces clean and free of grease and do not clean with cleaning solution.
- Activate the bonding section of the windscreen
Only if the windscreen is re-installed
- During long idle periods apply activator -H3- to the remaining adhesive.
Only with new windscreens
- Clean glass with cleaning solution -H1-
- Apply primer -H2- to the glass flange in the area of the marking.
A ventilation period of at least 10 minutes must be observed between the cleaning of the glass and the application of the primer! No cleaning solution residues may remain on the window frame or the body.
Installing the windscreen
Danger of material damage if specified curing time of adhesive is not observed!
- The vehicle must not be used until the curing time has elapsed.
In order to ensure that the bonded joint is sufficiently strong, the following boundary conditions must be adhered to.
- Curing time: 3 hours
- Temperature: at least 10 degrees Celsius
- Fixing time: approx. 1 hour
The removed windscreen can be reinstalled if there is no prior damage to the windscreen and the windscreen was removed without damage.
1 – Prepare 2-componet bonding material for processing
- -> Rep. Gr. 6; Processing of Porsche 2-componet window bonding agents in Cayenne manual.
- The bonding material has an open time of -15 min-, which means that the bonding material must be applied and the car window must be assembled within this period of time.
- In order to ensure that the substance is completely mixed, apply a 30 mm long adhesive run of fresh adhesive to a piece of cardboard before processing.
2 – Apply bonding material to the windscreen
- Apply 2 component bonding material with the adhesive gun -A- to the windscreen along the preliminary layer or on the primer as a triangular run measuring .X = approx. 10mm-.
When applying the adhesive, it is essential to ensure that the adhesive pass overlaps by approx. 30 mm at the beginning and at the end.
3 – Insert the windscreen into the window frame
Two persons are needed to insert and adjust the windscreen.
- Apply suction cups -B- to the windscreen and insert the windscreen into the window aperture. Position the windscreen on the lower edge of the window.
- Set the dimension -X- at the seam joining line along the lower edge of the window frame -> *Test and adjustment values* in 64-15
4 – Clean the fields of vision
- Adhesive which has oozed out must be removed immediately and the affected fields of vision must be cleaned using cleaning agent -H1-.
5 – Connect electrical plug connection
- Connect electrical plug connection of the windscreen antenna.
6 – Install cowl panel cover
- Position covers on the dashboard and screw them down with the fastening screws.
7 – Install defroster covers
- Position defroster cover on the dashboard and screw it down with the fastening screws.
8 – Press rubber covering in
- Press rubber covering into the surrounding section of the windscreen.
9 – Clean windscreen
Test and adjustment values
|Lower edge of windscreen along window frame||-Y- mm||Seam joining line|
Overview of tools and materials
The following tools and materials are required for removing and installing the windscreen with 2 component adhesive:
|Item||Special tool designation||Remarks|
|-A-||Double cartridge gun No. VAS 5237||Gr. 3,5; Workshop Equipment Manual|
|-B-||Pipette No. VAG 1344||Gr. 3.5; Workshop Equipment Manual|
|-C-||Special electric cutter (fine) No. VAG 1561 A||Gr. 3.5; Workshop Equipment Manual|
|-D-||Flashing knife, U-type No. 639.031.130.22|
|-D1-||2-componet disc adhesive No. 000.043.300.94||Contains set components H1-H8|
|-H1- -H2-||Cleaning solution Primer||-H5- -H6-||Cartridge, component A Cartridge, component B|
|-H3- -H2-||Activator Swab||-H7- -H8-||Mixing nozzle Processing nozzle|
home page: klassikats.com