Subject: Opening and Closing the Folding Top Models: 911 Speedster ALL
Bulletin Number: 89 – 05
Opening and Closing Emergency Folding Top
This information is reprinted from the 911 Speedster Supplement to the owners manual.
Opening emergency folding top
- Press both retaining studs (A) in the folding-top catches on the windscreen frame and open the catches.
- Unlock the rear lid using the lever (B) on the left side wall.
- Undo all Tenax studs (C) by pulling the head of the stud.
Raise the folding top forwards by approx. 10 cm to slacken it.
Using both hands (thumbs upwards), pull the folding top backwards by the clamping strip (D) and detach.
Pull rear window fully forwards and stow on top of the folding top.
- Unlock the rear lid with the push stud (E) and raise rear lid forwards in the middle and fold back.
Move rear window backwards into the rear compartment.
- In vehicles with the guide bracket, the folding top cover must be stowed behind the guide bracket (1) before folding the folding top. Fold side sections of the folding top forwards (see arrow) and pull the rear window forwards from inside when folding back the top.
Ensure that the rear window is not folded and that both sides of the soft top coverare and pulled inwards (see illustration) so that the folding top cover is not caught. Push both sides of the folding top frame downwards.
- Move the folding top catches to the locking position.
Attach protective cover to the folding top catches, raise rear window and fix the cover to the eyes in the left and right sides of the rear compartment.
- Fold rear lid downwards and press the middle of the lid until it can be heard to engage in the retaining hook.
Lock the read lid using the lever (B).
Closing emergency folding top
- Unlock the rear lid with the lever (B).
Pull the push stud (E) for the lock hook and raise the rear lid forwards in the middle and fold back.
- Detach the protective cover.
Raise the middle of the folding top and fold forwards.
Pull the rear window fully forwards and stow on top of the folding top.
Fold the rear lid downwards and press the center of the lid until it can be heard to engage in the lock hook.
Lay the rear window over the rear lid.
- Raise the folding top forwards by approximately 10 cm to slacken it.
Using both hands (thumbs downwards), attach folding top clamping strip (D) under the rear lid from behind. Pull the heads of both rear Tenac studs (C) on the fabric of the folding top and attach them to the lower sections of the Tenax studs. Pushing the heads of the Tenax studs further locks the studs in place.
- Holding the lower section of the folding top and pressing the top section, tighten the side members of the folding top.
Caution, risk of injury!
Take care not to catch your fingers in the hinges.
- Move the folding top catches to the lock position from inside.
Holding the handle, pull the soft top downwards from inside; the guide pin of the folding top must engage between the mirror mounting and the windscreen frame.
Lock both folding top catches.
- Lock the rear lid from inside using the lever (B). Attach all remaining Tenax studs by pulling the head of the stud and pushing it onto the bottom section.
Refer to Technical Bulletin Group 6, Number 8904, dated October 20, 1989 for important information on Tenax Snaps.
Important Notice: Technical Bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a “Do-it-yourselfer.” They are written to inform these technicians of conditions may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Special tools may be required to perform certain operations identified in these bulletins. Use of tools and procedures other than those recommended in these bulletins may be detrimental to the safe operation of your vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safely instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your Porsche dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. Part numbers listed in these bulletins are for reference only. Always check with your authorized Porsche dealer to verify correct part numbers.
home page: klassikats.com